About EWI-221 Winter Adhesive
EWI-221 Winter Adhesive can be used both within the reinforcement layer and for fixing EPS insulation boards to substrates much like EWI-220. The major difference is that this winter adhesive can be used even when the external temperature is very low – in fact it allows the external wall insulation systems to be installed down to temperatures as low as 0 degrees.
Applying EWI-221 Winter Adhesive
The winter adhesive comes as 25kg dry mix. 6.3 litres of water need to be mixed with the winter adhesive to form the adhesive mortar. Once set firm and hard, it has excellent water and frost resistance and unsurpassed adhesive properties in colder weather. We suggest using a large bucket and adding the water prior to the winter adhesive. Once the winter adhesive has been added to the water, it needs to be mixed using a paddle mix until an even consistency mortar is produced.
Once the winter adhesive has been mixed, leave the bucket for 5-10 minutes and then remix using the paddle mix – the adhesive is then ready for use.
The presence of microfibres in the winter adhesive means that it will still set in a timely fashion even at low temperatures. This means continuous work flow when conditions would normally prevent it.
EWI-221 Winter adhesive can be used for two purposes:
- An adhesive used to create the reinforcement basecoat layer.
- An adhesive used to fix expanded polystyrene (EPS) to a substrate.
EWI-221 is prepared in the same way regardless of whether it is being used as a basecoat adhesive or to fix the EPS insulation boards to the substrate.
EWI-221 should not be used for fixing extruded polystyrene (XPS) and thermal insulation on bituminous substrates.
- Substrate primer: EWI- 301
- Application temperature (air, substrate, materials): from +0°C to +25°C
- Water mix proportions: approx. 6.3 l of water per 25 kg of dry mix
- Time of usability after mixing with water: approx. 2 hours (temp. +20°C)
- Quantity to be used: approx. 4-5 kg/m2
Coverage Rates for Winter Adhesive
1 x 25kg bag – 4-5m2
- Composition: Portland cement, mineral fillers, polymers, refining agents and microfibres
- Bulk density (dry mixture): about 1.45 g/cm3
- Adhesion to concrete (air-dry): ³ 0.3 MPa
- Adhesion to polystyrene: ³ 0.08 MPa (rupture in thermal insulation material)
- Soluble chromium (VI) content per total dry mass: ≤ 0.0002%
Do not dispose of Winter Adhesive along with household rubbish. Ensure that Winter Adhesive packaging is clean and empty before disposal. Leftover product should be not be allowed to reach sewage or watercourse systems.
- Wear protective clothing during use.
- Avoid contact with eyes.
- Avoid contact with skin for extended periods of time.
- Always ensure that water and/or washing facilities are available on site.
Comes in powder form in a 25kg paper bag.
Storage Conditions for EWI-221 Winter Adhesive
Store in a cool, dry place. Avoid ingress of water. Shelf life: up to 12 months from the date of manufacture.