About EWI-225 Premium Basecoat
EWI-225 Premium Basecoat is our finest basecoat adhesive – it is used to fix mineral wool insulation boards to substrates in addition to being used within the basecoat layer. The adhesive is white due to the presence of white Portland cement – making it stronger than other basecoat adhesives (EWI-220 and EWI-210). Once the basecoat has dried it provides and incredibly strong and flexible basecoat layer and as such we recommend using the basecoat when applying ‘render only’ systems to substrates
The EWI-225 Premium Basecoat is breathable, high strength and waterproof.
EWI-225 Premium Basecoat can be used for two purposes:
- An adhesive used to create the reinforcement basecoat layer in render only or mineral wool EWI systems
- An adhesive used to fix mineral wool (Rockwool) to a substrate.
EWI-225 is prepared in the same way regardless of whether it is being used as a basecoat adhesive or to fix the mineral wool insulation boards to the substrate.
The Premium Basecoat comes as a dry mix in 25kg, so needs to be mixed with clean, cold water ( >5.9 litres) prior to use. We suggest using a large bucket and adding the water prior to the Premium Basecoat dry mix. Once our Premium Basecoat has been added to the water, it needs to be mixed using a paddle mix until an even consistency mortar is produced.
Once the Premium Basecoat has been mixed sufficiently, leave the bucket for 5-10 minutes and then remix using the paddle mix – the adhesive is then ready for use.
If using the Premium Basecoat for the basecoat layer, apply the basecoat using a 10mm notched trowel to the substrate. Then embed overlapping pieces of fibreglass mesh – the mesh should sit within the middle of the basecoat layer. Once embedded the basecoat layer should be 6mm in total.
If using the Premium Basecoat to fix Mineral Wool to the substrate, the basecoat can either be applied to the whole surface of the insulation board using a notched trowel, or applied to the perimeter of the insulation board + 3 dabs across the middle.
- Primer: EWI-301 or EWI-310 if a key is required
- Application temperature (air, substrate, materials): from +5°C to 25°C
- Time of usability after mixing with water: approx. 2 hours (temp. +20°C)
- Water mix proportions: approx. >5.9 litres of water per 25 kg of dry mix
- Quantity to be used:
- – fixing insulation panels of foamed polystyrene and reinforced layer on foamed polystyrene: approx. 4-5 kg/m2
- – fixing insulation panels of mineral wool and reinforced layer on Mineral Wool: approx. 5-6 kg/m2
Coverage Rates of EWI-225 Premium Basecoat
1 x 25kg bag – 4-5m2
- Composition: white Portland cement, mineral fillers, synthetic fibres, polymers, modifying admixtures
- Bulk density: approx. 1.60 g/cm3
- Adhesion to concrete (air-dry): ≥ 0.3 MPa
- Adhesion to concrete (after freeze-thaw cycles): ≥ 0.3 MPa
- Adhesion to foamed polystyrene (air-dry): ≥ 0.08 MPa (foamed polystyrene rupture)
- Adhesion to foamed polystyrene (after freeze-thaw cycles): ≥ 0.08 MPa (foamed polystyrene rupture)
- Adhesion to Mineral Wool: 0.08 MPa (Mineral Wool rupture)
Do not dispose of Premium Basecoat along with household rubbish. Ensure that Premium Basecoat packaging is clean and empty before disposal. Leftover product should be not be allowed to reach sewage or watercourse systems.
- Wear protective clothing during use.
- Avoid contact with eyes.
- Avoid contact with skin for extended periods of time.
- Always ensure that water and/or washing facilities are available on site.
Comes in powder form in a 25kg paper bag.
Storage Conditions for EWI-225 Premium Basecoat
Store in a cool, dry place. Avoid ingress of water. Shelf life: up to 12 months from the date of manufacture.